water softener is a device that is used in making water suitable for household uses. However, as we shall learn throughout this write up, there are some issues that are associated with these systems. Here’s a look at some of the common water softener problems that you’re likely to experience once in a while.
Though the installation of water softeners is meant to curb the issue of hard water, in some cases problems related to plumbing might arise. Normally, big sized water softening systems are more prone to these issues.
As for the small sized water softener systems, hard water could leak due to the impact of heavy metals leached by the piping from the softened water. In case of any such problems, flow of water through the system may be disrupted. Plumbing problems is one of the most common water softener problems you might experience.
Common Plumbing Related Problems
- Blockages. These normally occur when salt and mineral deposits are left to accumulate within the system. Some of the areas that are prone to blockages include the brine line and the filter screen. Blockages can be solved using instruction provided by the manufacturer in the user manual.
- Salt Bridges. Salt deposits can accumulate inside the plumbing system to form a salt bridge. These ones can also be easily dealt with by cleaning your water softener system using a broom handle.
- Septic Tanks Damage. Septic tanks that are not properly located can easily become damaged by brine. To avoid such problems, ensure that your septic tank is placed in the proper location.
Resin Beads Problems
Though resin beads are meant to last for as long as you use the appliance, in some cases you may need to have them replaced. Completely broken down resin beads usually find their way into your glass of water.
Motor Related Problems
Once in a while, you can expect your motor to fail. Normally if your water softener system is not working at all, then this could possibly be the reason. Before thinking of disposing it, you may want to take a look at the system’s cables to ensure that everything is fitted correctly. Disconnected power cables are one of the most common causes of motor failure in water softeners.
Common Health Problems
- Sodium Buildup. People with health problems are usually advised to avoid salty water. Presence of sodium ions in water could endanger their health. There are high chances of development of hypertension and heart problems in such people. To prevent this from happening, one could consider using a bypass pipe. Such a pipe is meant for supplying water for drinking and cooking. Another way to avert this problem is by replacing sodium chloride with potassium chloride for filtering.
- Removal of some important minerals. The water softening process may lead to removal of some important minerals that are needed by some plants and human beings. As a result, softened water may deny our bodies some important nutrients that are required for the proper functioning and development.
- High Iron Contents. Though quite rare, the problem of excessive amounts of iron in softened water could lead to serious health complications. To prevent this from happening, one must regularly check the filter and replace it whenever necessary. It is also wise to check along the plumbing lines to ensure that there are no leaks.
In most cases, water softener problems come about as a result of incorrect operation and settings. Some of these include: brine tank running out of salt, incorrect settings and improper handling of the system. There are some systems that are easier to handle than others.
Such are less prone to handling problems. To avoid user related problems, you must read the provided user manual before using your system. Some handling problems are unique to different water softener models.
Getting the right sized water softener system for your home can sometimes be a bit challenging. Choosing an incorrect size could lead to inefficiency or even restrict the normal flow of water. When a system is too large or too small for a particular household, problems that would otherwise be prevented by selecting the right sized system may arise.
The different categories of common water softener problems tackled above should help you understand some of the day-to-day issues that come with using these appliances. Hopeful, as we are, you’ll enjoy using your system without any major qualms.